When packing for any type of trip, be it a weekend away or months of travelling it's always hard to determine what you really need to pack and where to start...
My top 5 packing tips:
1. Pack the essentials first, there's nothing like turning up at the airport without the necessary documents or with no underwear packed for your first day on holiday!
2. Pack and repack until you have the bare minimum. It sounds silly and time consuming but when you give yourself the ultimatum, you'll shed the kg's on the luggage scales. And I have never thought "oh I really wish I had packed that unnecessary useless item"
3. Keep it light, even if you're gone for weeks on end, you'll soon regret overpacking, having the chore of finding things and carrying unwanted baggage.
4. Choose your luggage wisely and appropriately. If you're going backpacking - take a backpack. You'll not only feel more like a "backpacker" and look the part but it's called backpacking for a reason - wheels really can be more of a hinderance than a help.
Whereas if you're taking a city break, a hold-all or small weekend travel bag will complete the travelista look. And of course if you're travelling in luxury but for a while then a wheely suitcase fit for purpose will make your trip run more smoothly.
5. Leave room for that all important wandershopping. You might find yourself genuinely needing things or you might just get sucked in by a countries wonderful delights and souvenirs.